Sunday, July 12, 2009

This past week....










Well... what started as a normal construction site on Tuesday morning July 7th , ended in our local hospital.



I was busily heaving layers of shingles into our large dumpster and Jeff was upstairs working in our room we are adding on...when I hear (over the sound of my music on my Ipod) MAIA!
I quickly ran around the dumpster and saw Jeff in the driveway holding his hand! I was so glad he did not fall off the roof or anything..I ran around like a chicken with my head cut off for a bit....I am going to have to get better at this emergency thing, especially if we are going to have any kiddos! I am sure we will be visiting there again..hopefully not too soon!

So Jeff says "Maia get some ice...come on lets go!" I proceed to grab a garbage sack and ALL the ice from our ice box in the freezer! I grab my keys, don't even think to lock the house, but shut the garage door and both of us lookin extremely good in our construction clothes head to the hospital...

On our way I realize the splatters of blood on Jeff''s shorts, and think that we were both running on good ol adrenaline....it was quite the trip! Jeff looked down at one point and AHHHH the top of his left thumb was turned around! like the nail was on the opposite side...NEED i say more!

So in runs Jeff through the emergency door while I park, and by the time I got inside the sliding doors he was in a wheelchair and the nurses were fast tracking him to a bed.....They later commented on his height and how the second he walked in the door he looked like he was about to be a foot tall!! I must have been a sight too...walking in with a huge garbage sack of ice, bloody all over the outside....and a glove inside the bag! I think I freaked the nurses out because I said I had a glove in the bag and they thought there was a hand or finger in there or something....oops..i forgot it was the opposite glove! They proceeded to cut off the glove after hooking him up to machines and an IV.....

We had some great friends from church Karen and Tony who showed up for a couple hours, and I was able to go home, lock up the house, change from my work attire, wipe the sand, silt and shingle gravel from all over my arms, face and hair....and I was able to clean up the water on the kitchen floor left out from my ice-escapade!


So long stime in the hospital...about 11:30 a.m. till about 5 p.m. we chilled there....my sis came to visit and Jeremy and Tera and Pastor Willy came around 5:30....in time to see him get all ready for surgery.


Dr. Vu the reconstructive hand surgeon came by and Jeff was wheeled into surgery put under the general anesthetic around 6:30 p.m. Evan and Chrissy came by, Jeff's parents, Brent and Kristi, and everyone else hung out too!! I sure had company while he was in surgery which was wonderful!!









So about a 3 and1/2 hour surgery later....and a hard decision in the middle that I had to make over the phone...knowing that my husband was under in the O.R. Dr. Vu did her best and grafted some bone in on his left thumb hoping for the best! We are praying the bone graft will take and heal up well. She said she was able to attach the blood vessells and was uncertain whether he would have feeling in his thumb, and with either choice during surgery he will not have the joint in his thumb.. So now we are praying for healing and that his thumb will pump blood and start to grow healthy together!



So here is the thumb the first day we dressed it up! Chrissy came over to help us through this process.....We were a bit nervous..but we really felt good about keeping it nice and clean and dressed up during camping! We did a good job I am sure my nurse sis and Chrissy and Sarah will be happy about that....=)


So we are on the recovery trail now...and needing to get those shingles on the roof! Thankfully it has not been raining much, it did over the weekend when we were gone camping but the felt was on so we were good!



Jeff is now on the mend! more updates to come soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment